HTTPS availability is now available to blogger blogs.. Although for bloggers using a custom domain wont be able to use this feature on their blogs.
Lets start by understanding What is HTTPS and how does it work?
HTTPS (Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure) is an internet communication protocol that protects the integrity and confidentiality of your users’ data between the user’s computer and the site.
For example, when a user enters data into a form on your site in order to subscribe to updates or purchase a product, HTTPS protects that user’s personal information between the user and the site. Users expect a secure online experience when providing data via a website. We encourage you to adopt HTTPS in order to protect your users’ connection to your website.
Data sent using HTTPS is secured via Transport Layer Security protocol (TLS), which provides three key layers of protection:
Encryption—encrypting the exchanged data to keep it secure from eavesdroppers. That means that while the user is browsing a website, nobody can “listen” to their conversations, track their activities across multiple pages, or steal their information.
Data integrity—data cannot be modified or corrupted during transfer, intentionally or otherwise, without being detected.
Authentication—proves that your users communicate with the intended website. It protects against man-in-the-middle attacks and builds user trust, which translates into other business benefits.
You can Read More information on HTTPS Here — Learn more about HTTPS
How to Turn on HTTPS for your blog
Bloggers using blogspot domain can turn on HTTPS for their blogs.
- There are three main benefits to using HTTPS over HTTP to access your blog:
- It helps check that your visitors open the correct website and aren’t being redirected to a malicious site.
- It helps detect if an attacker tries to change any data sent from Blogger to the visitor.
- It adds security measures that make it harder for other people to listen to your visitors’ conversations, track their activities, or steal their information.
When you enable HTTPS, visitors can access the encrypted version of your blog by typing https://<your-blog>.blogspot.com.
To Turn on/enable HTTPS on your blog just follow these steps
Sign in to Blogger
Select the blog to update.
On the left menu, click Settings >> Basic >> HTTPS Settings.
In HTTPS Availability, select Yes.
HOW TO TURN IT OFF:
To disable HTTPS, follow the steps above and select No for HTTPS Availability.
- If you disable HTTPS, visitors will be redirected to the unencrypted HTTP version of your blog. All bookmarks to your blog will continue to work.
- Remember HTTPS isn’t available for custom domain blogs.